Wednesday, August 14, 2013

MONDAY, TUESDAY


Monday 12th. I filled the gas tank before leaving Vernal this morning. It was less than one hundred miles to Grand Junction but you never know, you know. I did not stop for pictures until I got a few miles into Colorado State Highway  139. I think it would take a lifetime to discover all the beauty this state has for picture taking. The entries below are only a little glimpse of what is available on that highway alone. The Canyon pictures of the highway winding its way between canyon walls were something to behold. I do remember driving through there once or twice before and not having a camera. The pictures were taken from the car because there is no such thing as a wide spot to pull over to. I arrived in Colorado Springs too late in the day to find the RR Station that goes to the top of Pikes Peak so I drove it. It is a one hour drive, covering 19  miles of torture to arrive only a mile above the starting point. The drive is an experience some folks would not enjoy one bit. Talk about going over the side! The guard rails are few and far between, as a couple of these pictures will show. The top is not so great; the parking lot is of mud, cold mud any time of year. The temperature was 36 degrees at 7pm. I was lucky to get some sunshine so a few of the pics turned out OK.

Tuesday 13th. I was in Limon, Colorado at 8AM stocking up on groceries. The rain was coming down by the buckets during a lot of the drive today. By noon I was in Wakeney, Colo. for more gasoline. I arrived at Ike's Library late in the day and spent most of my time taking a tour of the house he was raised in. The campus is surrounded by many old houses that once were the cream of the crop for Abilene but the streets are now in disrepair and most of the properties are not being cared for. I found a rest stop a few miles east of town to bed down for the night.
Northwest Colorado farm country.
 

 
There is a lot of beauty in this state.
 
I 70 Tunnel Near Denver
 
Lower part of highway to Pikes peak
 
Road to nowhere,  like those guard rails?
 
I made it! And the sun was shining, great luck.
 
Long way down.
 
Ike's family home.
 
Living room.
 
 
 
 
 
I 70 through the canyon
These pics are only a taste of what I have of these locations.
Now it is time to get on the road and visit Truman's Library.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment