Tuesday, August 20, 2013

SATURDAY 17th



The Rest Stop sign promised a view  but by the time I got the car parked the bushes had grown so high that not much could  be seen. I think there used to be a large lake out there somewhere. This Rest Stop is on the way to Salt St. Marie in Canada. My '52' Buddy Bob Vetious, recommended I take the detour just to see the Longest suspension bridge in the country. The bridge connects lower and upper Michigan.
Rest Stop with a view [not].

People who study such things have determined that the glaciers of 10,000 years ago pushed this rock about 200 miles and left it at this location. They feel they can match it exactly with  rocks of the same type from the other location further north.
The village that stood at this location many years before the bridge was built still has a presence in the neighborhood. It is a nice tourist trap now. The longest archeological 'digs' in the country is taking place right here.
A long shot of the bridge, arriving in Northern Michigan way over that'a way.

 My plan was to stitch these last two pics together before posting but I forgot. I will do that when I make up my YouTube pesentation after I get home.
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment