Thursday, August 15, 2013

THURSDAY

...........I was on the road by 7am and after making one stop for gasoline [$3.39 per gallon]  I found myself in West Branch, Iowa by 11:30. I made my first McDonald's stop of the trip before crossing the freeway to the Hoover Library/Museum. I like the little town and they do a good job of directing out of towners to their main attraction. The Museum has very clean lines from the outside and the inside is done very well also. It is not a large building and a good share of the presentation uses the Civil War as a backdrop. I enjoyed the old buildings that are still standing in wonderful shape just as they looked when 'Bert' Hoover was growing up. I will not post many of the pictures I took but these will be the best ones. Iowa has slow speed Internet available for free at their official Rest Stops. That is nice but it has taken me almost an hour to down load these few pictures to the blog. Enjoy! This afternoon I start toward the Detroit area [Ford's Library]
These pics did not load in the order I had hoped for but so it goes. This first one shows Hoover in full dress and rubber boots fly fishing. I guess that is the way rich folks went fishing in his day.

A bust of Hoover in what appears to be an unfinished or remodeled section of the building.

The house Hoover was born in sits about one hundred yards from the location of the Museum. The Museum is off to the right of this picture.

The one room school is a couple of hundred feet and across the street from the house. It is so small that I had to take a left picture and a right picture then fuse them together to make this panorama of the room.

Across the street from his house and looking toward town about two blocks away.

The museum is in a wonderful sitting, with many bushy, green trees and an expanse of lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment