Thursday, March 14, 2013

THURSDAY

     Another nice day, I wore my sweat shirt and found it a bit too warm until later in the afternoon when I walked on the Malecon. I had a nice lunch and spent lots of time reading the' Bonfire of the Vanities.' On the way home I picked up a dozen eggs for Natalia, she has been showing me all kinds of breakfast recipes with eggs. I also supply a lot of oranges and we have orange juice with breakfast. It is just a ball around here  but I am not putting on any weight because there is little sugar or bread in my diet. My belt has been taken up three notches since I have arrived, I don't doubt that will change when I get home.
This is Jessica, the violin student who lived by Natalia last year when I was here. She has since moved several cities away but stopped by recently to say hello to Natalia.
Meet Caesar the bartender/waiter/dishwasher at Macaw's where I eat once in a while. His English is good and he laughs at many of the funny Nortamericans who stop by and talk too loud.
This is a better picture of the sign over the Bar at Macaw's.
Marteen, the mobile shoe shine man. He carries his equipment on the back of a bicycle and asks folks for work as he coasts by. He seems like a very nice fellow, easy to talk too and understands us Northerners pretty well.

I took pictures of the inside of the buses because I hoped to show what a mess they are. I would need a better closeup than these to show what I am talking about though. I get the impression that once the buses are worn out in Mexico City the bus company here buys them and puts them into service for as long as they last. None of them have automatic transmissions or good clutches. The raking of gears at each shift is almost to be expected. I cringe when that happens, the play in the steering wheel is almost a quarter turn in some of them I have been on. The brakes need attention too, I bet! Some of them sound like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment