Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday 17th


. . . . I left the house at 9:40 to meet Nancy for our boat ride and hike to Stone Island. Poor Nancy has a very large and infected blood blister on her left big toe so the only place she was going today was to see the doctor. We will attempt the Island hop again next week. This city is in Carnival Mood this weekend so after leaving Nancy I walked out on the beach front to watch all of the booths being constructed and the various stages for entertainment being put in place. It has been reported that the road is closed but there is no one there to stop the vehicles so you can imagine the chaos. The ‘King’ of the Carnival was crowned last night and I guess it is the Queens turn tonight. All streets leading into the Promenade area are to be blocked at 4pm and booths will be set up to collect 25Pesos $1.92us to get into the festivities. I am told that is to be the situation up to and including Tuesday night. I will take a walk down that way after a while and see how things are coming along. After walking only about half of the beach this morning I went back into Old Town for more window shopping and lunching. I found a seat in one of the Plaza’s in town and read for a while before returning to the house about 4pm. It is very apparent while walking by the banks that the American dollar is losing power in the world. A month ago when I arrived a dollar bought 13.56Pesos, this morning a dollar buys only 13.00Pesos. Gee, it’s getting expensive to live down here! LOL. I was searching for a market that sells ice cream today and was unable to find one. Even the very large Central Market has no booth that sells ice-cream in bulk. The last liter I bought at Oxxo {a small version of a 7/11} had been previously melted and refrozen while lying on its side. I never was able to find a date on it. This morning I asked Natalia if the mouth wash I had purchased yesterday really was mouthwash and after looking at the bottle agreed it was but wanted to know why I asked. I told her it says Mint flavored but it did not taste very Minty. She said, ‘did you buy it in Mexico?’ I said, yes. She shrugged her shoulders and said, ‘That’s Mexico’. I walked North on the Promenade about 5pm to see what was going on as far as festivities were concerned but discovered that most of the excitement was going to be at the Southern end of town, actually closer to Old Town than half way between that and the Gold Zone. I stopped in at ‘Blue Port’ for a beer and a bowl of clam chowder. Clam chowder is not usually my thing but this was pretty good. I had taken my book along so between that and watching the sunset I was well occupied. I was back at the house by 6:45. I tried to access my Comcast account but failed. I will wake up during the night and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment