Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thursday

. . . . . When Natalia came home last night she told me that the drink I was looking for was Mescal, evidently it has a worm in the bottle too.  I decided to return to that same store today to continue my search for the elusive poison. In the meantime since the fumigators did not make this one of their scheduled stops last Thursday they promised to be here today so I thought I would wait until they left before I departed the premises. I did wait until 11:30 but by that time I was getting hungry so I tossed my book in my bag and started my journey, saying “Adios” to Olivia who had arrived at her regular time to do her housekeeping. I stopped at a nearby ‘restaurant’ someone had created in their double garage and ordered something to eat. I have no idea what is but I certainly liked it. It looked like three soft shelled tacos with beef chunks inside. I had also asked for beans but they never came. I was there for almost an hour snacking on the lunch and sipping a coke while reading Melville. The walk to the Liquor Store took about 45 minutes and after asking where the Mescal might be I searched the area for a bottle of anything that had a worm or bug in it, to no avail. I shant give up but I must admit to a certain amount of skepticism as to ever locating that animal in a bottle of something. I then left, crossing the street and aiming toward home with the ocean on my right and two tons of traffic buzzing by on my left. After a couple of blocks my friend Montezuma started whispering in my ear so I caught the next bus and five minutes later I was home. In plenty of time, no problem. Olivia was gone and I have no idea if the exterminators had been here or not. There was no odor but that sometimes means nothing. My Laptop was still secure on the shelf where I had left it. After reading for a while, thinking I might fall asleep but that never came about, I decided to take my book to the Plaza and read there for a time. I then felt the need for some ice cream so I hiked to the large super market [a real supermarket by Mazatlan standards] and bought a gallon of the stuff. I had to rearrange things in the freezer to get it to fit; hoping Natalia does not come home with a lot of frozen stuff that belongs there. I was home about 4:30 and satisfied my craving for the icy delight then approached the computer with the intent of getting on the internet and posting my blog. I was unable to do that at that time so I had to wait until later. It was close to 7pm before things cleared up enough for that to happen. Natalia was tired this morning and told me she was going to get home early, it didn’t happen. The Mazatlan facility of the University of Mexico has recently gotten a new director [she is the director’s secretary] and she is putting in extra time helping him get up to speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment