Friday, February 24, 2012

Friday

. . .. . . . I was late waking up this morning and when I did leave my room Natalia was on her way out the door attempting to get an early start on her work day. We talked for only a minute and she was gone. She did tell me she would be going out after work and would not be home until late. She added that she planned on cooking breakfast tomorrow morning; I said thank you and as she closed the door she said you’re welcome. . . .  The lady who never stops. I had a bowl of cereal and checked my chances of getting on line before giving thought to meeting Nancy at 11am for our journey to Stone Island. Getting on line fizzled out but the bright sunlight bode good will for a walking excursion on the ‘Island’.  I met Nancy at her place at 11:00 and after walking a block or two flagged down a Pulmonia {taxi. Shaped like a golf cart only a bit larger, top speed about 40mph. They are as numerous as ants at a pick nick.] To deliver us to the Port dock. The ride across the water was 30 pesos each and took about that many seconds to make the trip. When we got off at the other side we were directed to the back of a pickup truck and sat on benches for the ride through the village to the beach on the other side of the Peninsula, perhaps more than a mile but not much more. I wished to take pictures but there was no chance from the bed of a pickup going like a bullet through the little streets.  All of this riding was because Nancy was having serious knee problems and certainly did not wish to aggravate the situation. We had lunch while she greeted many people from town that she knew. We both agreed that we chose the wrong place to eat. Her fish was really dry as was my beef slices. They called it Carnas Asada, the flavor was there but I could not chew the meat. The waiter marked  about 50 pesos of the price. I will not return there next time.  I do feel the rice and beans were great though. After lunch we walked down the beach to the narrow part of the peninsula and over to a different dock for the return trip. After arriving back on land we caught another Polmonia for the ride back to Nancy’s place. 5 minutes, 6 tops.  Nancy had a good time but I wish to return and explore the entire distance on foot. I was expecting many miles of walking and discovered that the entire village and beach front is actually rather small. I will return one day next week and spend more time in the little village; from what I could see the natives who live there are living the same way their Grandparents lived a hundred years ago. I left Nancy about 2PM and walked home. It was a really nice day to be out; the temperature may have reached 80 but the sea breeze left me very comfortable in my T-shirt. The rest of the day was spent accomplishing nothing. I did read for a while and as usual that lead to a nap followed by a bowl of ice cream and more reading. I showered and settled in for the evening

No comments:

Post a Comment