Tuesday, February 12, 2013

TUESDAY


. . . . . .I mentioned to Natalia about the word mali can that I have been using to describe the ‘boardwalk’, the  street running the length of the peninsula from Gold Zone to Centro District [Old Town]. She said it is spelled Malecon and pronounced Ma le con. I told her I was unable to find such a word in my Spanish-English Dictionary. She was surprised and explained that she has been to a lot of Ocean Cities in Mexico and they all have their Malecon. She even knows of one city on a river that has a Malecon. I asked her to interpret the word into English and after thinking a few seconds she said the closest she could come was Waterfront. Anyway, in the future I will be using Malecon when describing the four lane highway and two lane walkway that adjoins it the length of the city. . . . . She also explained to me that the Parade I was looking for last night was only in the Gold Zone. There were a lot of folks out walking and sitting on the Malecon last night waiting for it to get to where they were. While out I did take some pictures using available light that I posted earlier today titled ‘The Non-Parade’…..I left the house about 10:30 today and dropped off a book at the ‘library’ and purchased a copy of Ayn Rand’s ‘We The Living’ from their used book counter. Since I was so close I stopped in at Macaws for lunch and read for an hour. I then strolled back through the Central Market area and picked up a couple of new light bulbs for the kitchen and a dozen eggs. The wind is up today and the breakers are having fun crashing against the rocks and spraying everything within reach. It would have been nice to have my jacket with me, especially while walking on the Malecon. I was at the house eating a large bowl of ice cream at 4:15 when Natalia comes crashing through the door. I was surprised because she works until six usually. I mentioned that she was home early and she said ‘I’m going to the Parade’. She ran to the patio and picked up three or four plastic step stools before saying, ‘See you’ and was gone. I finished my ice cream and washed the bowl and spoon before slipping into my coat and leaving for the parade myself. The sponsors floats came by first, being beer commercials they had lots of pretty girls flashing there fannies and dancing up a storm. Then it was a matter of standing around in the cool wind for almost two hours before the Carnaval Parade made its appearance. The floats were not as numerous as Sunday night but I took many pictures and enjoyed the whole thing except for the cold wind. I arrived home about 8pm and posted my daily blog and some pictures of tonight’s festivities.
The Pacifico Lady is tossing non-alcoholic beverages to the viewers. Can you see the container?



 
 
 
 

 


 

 


At one point The parade came to a halt for over twenty minutes. The kids got tired and sat in the street waiting.



The Carnaval has ended for another year. Time to start the cleanup!





udsonH

 

No comments:

Post a Comment